Total Number of Live Training Hours Needed: 105
In short, these training hours must consist of 35 hours of Healing Tao Basics, 35 hours of Fusion, and then 35 hours of Healing Tao Basics again as you do the certification process. During this accumulation of hours, the following topics must be covered: Inner Smile, Six Healing Sounds, Microcosmic Orbit, and Fusion 1. These training hours can come from any combination of live retreats, workshops, private lessons, or weekly classes that are taught by Senior Instructors or Instructors. Taped instruction is not applicable. For purposes of counting hours, summer retreat weeks are counted as 35 hours and weekend workshops are counted as 14 hours. Detailed steps for navigating the certification process are listed below.
Steps to become an Associate Instructor:
1. Prerequisite Courses: First take 35 hours of Healing Tao Basics and 35 hours of Fusion.
2. Training Resume: As you accumulate hours, please keep a record (either handwritten or electronic spreadsheet) of the classes taken. Each entry of the record should list:
a) the name of the class,
b) the date the class was taken,
c) the instructor who taught the class,
d) the number of hours of training for the class.
3. 1 year practice time: After a span of 1 year of practice time, you may begin the certification process.
4. Letter of Intention: Write a letter of intention, explaining why you want to become an instructor (1 page).
5. Letter of Recommendation: Get a letter of recommendation from a Healing Tao instructor that says that you would make a good instructor (1 page).
6. Initiate Certification Process: Begin taking the remaining 35 hours of Healing Tao Basics. As you near the end of these hours, please submit your letter of intention, letter of recommendation, and training record to a Senior Instructor. Schedule a test with the Senior Instructor.
7. Certification Test: Pay a $50 testing fee and take the test. The testing fee goes to the instructors proctoring the test. The test is an oral examination. The test must be administered by (at least) one Senior Instructor and one other Instructor.
8. Completion of Test: If you do not pass the test, you will be given direction as to what you need to fix, and when you can test again. Typically the wait time will be 3-6 months, but this ultimately depends on the decision of the instructors proctoring the test. If you do pass the test, you will then need to pay an additional $25 to the HTIA for additional processing. You will receive an official HTIA certificate for Associate Instructor. It will be mailed to your home address if not completed by the time you leave your respective class.
9. Sign an Ethics form: The ethics form lists the ethical and moral behavior that the HTIA expects its instructors to follow in regard to how instructors interact with students. We request that you sign this upon completion of testing. Instructors are expected to act in a professional manner, both in teaching and in conduct, and to avoid any kind of physical, verbal, or sexual abuse in their teacher-student interactions.
10. Join HTIA: To finalize your membership into the HTIA, i.e. Healing Tao Instructors Association, we ask that you go online to www.healing-tao.org to sign up and start paying your yearly ongoing dues to the HTIA (currently $45 ).
We expect all Associate Instructors to continue developing themselves! In particular, we expect that within two years all Associate Instructors will upgrade their classification to Instructor. At the very least, we expect continuing education of at least 14 hours every two years (one weekend workshop). If continuing education requirements are not met, you may be dropped off the active list of instructors.
Information about the Test:
You will be expected to demonstrate your knowledge of the Inner Smile meditation, the Six Healing Sounds seated qigong practice, and the Microcosmic Orbit meditation. You will also be expected to give some guided meditations.
- With the Inner Smile meditation, you should be precise about the 3 lines through the body. Order, sequencing, and ability to convey a “felt quality” to those you are instructing are all crucial elements of your meditation.
- With the Six Healing Sounds seated qigong, the ability to correctly instruct the movements, as well as the general knowledge of the five elements will be tested on.
- With the Microcosmic Orbit meditation, you should be able to identify the points of the microcosmic orbit, and identify them in proper order for the meditation. Note: There are many different versions of the Microcosmic Orbit meditation. For testing purposes, the instructors are looking for a replication of the original M. Chia microcosmic orbit meditation.
Due to length of time in courses, not everything about these topics can be covered purely through the coursework. It is expected that you read and study the relevant material in the books of M. Chia, and be prepared to answer questions not necessarily taught specifically in your coursework. Questions that may arise in testing are not limited to what was covered in your coursework.
Your studies for this test should include the books:
- Taoist Ways to Transform Stress Into Vitality
- Healing Light of the Tao (Chapters 1-7)**
**Note: This book has the alternate title “Awaken Healing Light of the Tao”. Also, instead of this book, you may use the older book “Awaken Healing Energy of the Tao” (whole book)