Steps to getting the Iron Shirt 1 upgrade:
- First become certified as an Instructor in the Microcosmic Orbit Set.
- Accumulate 70 hours of Iron Shirt training. There are 3 levels of Iron Shirt, so at least 35 of these hours must be specifically in Iron Shirt 1. You may count any Iron Shirt training hours that were accumulated prior to becoming an Instructor.
- Practice and study for the test.
- When you are ready for the test, notify a Senior Instructor that you wish to do the test and submit your record of Iron Shirt hours at that time. Then a test will be scheduled.
- Pay a $50 testing fee and take the test. The testing fee goes to the instructors proctoring the test. The test is an oral demonstration. The test must be administered by (at least) one Senior Instructor and one other Instructor who is already certified in Iron Shirt 1.
- If you do not pass the test, you will be given direction as to what you need to fix, and when you can test again. Typically the wait time will be 3-6 months, but this ultimately depends on the decision of the instructors proctoring the test. If you do pass the test, you will then need to pay an additional $25 to the HTIA for updating your record. You will receive an official HTIA certificate for Iron Shirt 1. It will be mailed to your home address if not completed by the time you leave your respective class.
- With coordination between yourself and the Senior Instructor(s) involved in the test, update your certification listing on the HTIA website, adding the additional certification: [I1] Iron Shirt Qigong 1.
Information about the Test:
Iron Shirt 1 testers are not limited by the following, but you can be assured that your test will be a reasonable approximation of the following:
- You will be asked to go into the posture of Embracing the Tree. After a period of time of endurance in the posture, testers will push you to test your root. You will need to demonstrate rooting from pushes sustained from left and right sides, the front, and the back (along the spine points).
- You will be asked to go into the posture of Holding the Golden Urn, yang position. After a short period of time of endurance in the posture, you will need to demonstrate rooting from pushes sustained from the left and right sides.
- You will be asked to go in the posture of Turtle. You will need to demonstrate rooting from pushes sustained from left and right sides. You will also need to demonstrate rooting from a front push, but you may do this from the Water Buffalo posture.
- You will be tested for endurance in these positions. The testing will take place over a period of time, where you will be in the posture for a while, and then you will pushed. Typical testing time is 30 minutes in Embracing the Tree, 10 minutes in Holding the Golden Urn, yang position, and 5 minutes in Turtle . . . so that overall time spent in the postures can be up to 45 minutes long (or longer).
- Qi packing will not be part of the test.
- If you are unsuccessful at maintaining root, or are unsuccessful at maintaining proper posture, you will be asked to correct it and try again right there during the test. For any such posture, you will be allowed three such attempts.